Re: [TCML] Safely Grounding a Tesla Coil

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brandon Hendershot" <brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 1:53 PM
Subject: [TCML] Safely Grounding a Tesla Coil

Hi all,

I know that it's said that you need an entirely seperate ground rod when opperating tesla coils because the high voltage grounding through the house wiring is extremely dangerous to anything plugged into any other grounded outlet on the same circuit. But what if you attached the coils ground wire directly to the ground rod. It would be bypassing the house wiring, so the high voltage won't be running by any precious electronics inside the house. It shouldn't be running back up into the house right? I'm trying to be minimalistic so I don't have to try to pound down a ground rod of my own.

Thanks,
Brandon
It made a big difference when I sunk a new ground rod in my yard. Even when the coil is not firing except for the spark gap, there is very little RF in my house (speakers on the TV). Fortunately for me, though, the transformer for the buried power lines in my neighborhood is in my front yard, about 60 feet from my ground rod. I isolated the RF and power supply ground completely in my coil to alleviate any ground loops. I think it makes for a better spark, but the coil will still run without any ground connection whatsoever (oops, that did make some noise on the speakers! My wife informed me of that).