Re: [TCML] By-passing GFI on an NST

Hi Dennis,
I am shurethere are others on the list that could give you a much more difinitive answer than I ,but If it were me I'd wire it as such #1 and #2 line in... #4 center tap...#3 &#5 RESPECTIVELY 4,500 VOLT SECONDARYS Sorry caps got stuck...and of course green the equipment ground. ----- Original Message ----- From: <otmaskin5@xxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 12:10 PM
Subject: [TCML] By-passing GFI on an NST

Hi, I have been trying to bypass the GFI circuit on a 9/60 NST without success. The NST is potted with the standard black tar substance, but fortunately the GFI unit was located in an open corner space that was walled off & separated from the potting material. With a little work, I was able to wiggle the GFI unit free from the space & clip the wires leading to & from it. That left me with 6 unconncected wires inside the NST case. I connected those wires in a way that I thought would properly complete the NST circuit excluding the GFI. When I tried testing the NST gradually turning up my variac, it kept tripping the GFI on the garage outlet. The NST never got to the point of humming like they usually do. I've been able to run coils & jacobs ladders off that outlet without problems. So I'm thinking I've got the NST wired wrong. Can anyone out there offer advice on getting the connections right?

The transformer is a 9/60 Franceformer cat #9060 P5C-2. I designated the wires #1 through 6 to help clarify which wires were which, the numbers are not designated by the factory.

There are 2 wires coming out of the tar on the side of the NST where the external 120v input terminals are located:
 #1 Black
 #2 White

There are 3 wires coming out of the tar on the opposite side of the NST:
 #3 Orange
 #4 White
 #5 Blue

There is 1 wire connected to the metal case:
 #6 Green

Here is how I connected the wires:
#1 Black to #3 Orange - I tied these two together because the went into a spot very close to each other on the GFI unit. #2 White to #4 White - these 2 also went to a spot on the GFI unit right next to each other. #5 Blue to #6 Green - thes wires also went to a spot on the GFI right next to each other.

Seems like it should be pretty straight forward. However, since my first attempt didn't seem to work, I thought it would be better to get some advice before reconnecting wires blindly & maybe risking possibly damaging something. I found some info on NST/GFI in the pupman archives, but it didn't seem to address my specific situation. I also looked for a schematic on the manufacturer's website, but they didn't have one. I'd be much obliged for any help you can provide. Thanks, Dennis Hopkinton MA