Re: [TCML] 1/4 wavelength theory ??

Weinhold Shannon L wrote:
 This is puzzling. Isn't the 1/4 wavelength the earliest antinode,
thereby representing the point in the resonator where the amplitude of
the standing wave is a maximum? I mean, sure, you could have it off from
that length by some degree without noticing a huge degree of variation,
but shouldn't that still be the goal to shoot for?
That would be the stance of an electrical engineer according to the
books anyway. Perhaps its different in practice?
Please enlighten us with more clarity ole wise one.

That might be the view of the electrical engineer if the wire were stretched out in a single line. But it's not. It's coiled, and a lumped LC model represents the performance MUCH more accurately.

If you delve into the theory of antennas, and see how the current in each segment of the wire induces a current in all the other segments, you can see how you get to the classical wave equation solution where a quarter wavelength has HV at one end and a current peak at the other.

But that same theory will tell you that coiling the wire up makes a huge difference, and the actual wire length becomes immaterial. That is, I can take a variety of wire lengths and wind a variety of coils that will all have basically the same electrical properties (L and self-C).