Re: [TCML] Re: Tesla Magnifier, Vacuum Tube Power Oscillator Papers

Hank

The photographs in the report copy are marginal at best.  I'll try to scan a
copy of the
plan view of the power oscillator.  The system occupied a shielded room
constructed of
aluminum that was 16' long by 12' wide by 8' high.  As I have posted in the
past,
building a really large VT Power oscillator (or Tesla Coil) is going to
require considerable
space, as well as infrastructure above and beyond the "toobs".

A 30MW (Megawatt) dedicated substation with 30 position load tap changing
transformer
powered a 12 pulse controlled dc rectifier.  DC voltage was controlled by
tap position,
phase angle fired ignitrons were also used but gave extremely poor power
factor (<0.6)
and very high DC ripple, with attendant stress on entire HV power train.  So
ignitrons
were usually operated as "normal" high power DC rectifiers (19kV @ 900A).

Needless to say, you won't be marching to Radio Shack to get parts for this
monster...

Regards

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Dr.Hankenstein <dr.hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx