From: Paul Nicholson [mailto:tcml88@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 10:40 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] 1/4 wavelength theory ??

Shannon Weinhold wrote:

 > This is puzzling. Isn't the 1/4 wavelength the earliest  > antinode,
thereby representing the point in the resonator  > where the amplitude
of the standing wave is a maximum?

 > That would be the stance of an electrical engineer

Yes, and correctly so.   The TC secondary functions as
a 1/4 wave resonator - it has all the properties expected of such,
including

- It has a characteristic impedance;
- Impedance inversion - base to top;
- A whole spectrum of resonances, but the TC
   only uses the fundamental one - the 1/4 wave;
- Voltage and current antinodes pretty much
   where you expect them;

The point at issue is that the natural (unloaded) 1/4 wave frequency of
the solenoid doesn't match that of the original straight wire that the
coil was wound from.  This is the myth.

An example may clarify:

Take say 600 metres of wire.  It is 1/4 wave resonant at 1/4 * 300e6/600
= 125kHz, or a little less if you allow 0.95 velocity factor for a
straight wire.

Now wind that wire into a solenoid, h/d ratio say 3:1.

One variation of the myth says the resonant frequency of the solenoid
remains 125kHz, ie that the wire has retained its original
straightened-out frequency.

But the reality is: the resonant frequency here will be around 200kHz.
This is easy to measure and model and there is no room for debate on
this point.

A second variation of the myth acknowledges the frequency change, but
suggests that you must now add topload C to pull the solenoid resonance
down to match the original 125kHz of the straight wire.

The reality is: nothing special happens when you do that, although you
end up with a heavily toploaded coil which is good
for matching to a breakout load.   Various vague justifications
for doing this are offered - often involving a suggestion that the
voltage antinode (max) will not be at the top unless you match solenoid
frequency to straight wire frequency.

The reality is: the voltage antinode is always at the top, whatever the
toploading.

The solenoid behaves as a transmission line, although a complicated one
compared to a coax or twin line. The telegraphist's equation normally
used to describe a transmission line has to be altered a little to deal
with the solenoid but it is qualitatively the same.

When heavily loaded with top C, the coil can be modelled as a lumped LC
device with little error.  Even when lightly loaded or unloaded, an LC
model can be used but the L and C used need to be carefully selected -
by modelling the thing as a transmission line and calculating suitable
equivalent lumped reactances.
JavaTC deals with all this correctly.

To summarise:   The secondary is electrically a 1/4 wave, but it
doesn't resonate at the 1/4 wave frequency of the straight wire.
Making it do so by adding topload achieves nothing.

Here is an animation illustrating the voltage and current in a secondary
coil during a TC beat cycle,

  http://abelian.org/tssp/pn040502/tfsm1-h1.anim.gif

The quarter-wave behaviour is clear, and you can see from the flexing of
the voltage distribution that a little bit of 3/4
wave is present too.   The firing of the primary circuit excites
all the resonances of the secondary but most of the energy goes into the
1/4 wave mode.  In the 'magnifier' arrangement, energy is deliberately
put into a carefully tuned 3/4 wave mode as well.
--
Paul Nicholson