Re: [TCML] 1/4 wavelength theory ??

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Dex Dexter <dexterlabs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Dex Dexter <dexterlabs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [TCML] 1/4 wavelength theory ??
> Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 2:01 PM
> >From the pic I can conclude that
> couplig of your
> tesla coil is lower than coupling of my coil.
> And I have lower H/D secondary ratio (12":3.5")
> But you have comparatively bigger top load.
> And is that some kind of black/dark coating on your coil?
> Maybe  racing sparks on your coil appear becouse
> of the material used?
>
> Dex

Hi Dex,

No dark coating.  The secondary is white PVC pipe (4.5" O.D. x 24"L) wound with green magnet wire, then painted with several coats of furniture-grade clear gloss urethane varnish.  The secondary is actually a bright emerald green color in good light.  It looks dark in the photo because the room was very dark.

According to my cheap, piece-of-junk Chinese inductance meter, the coupling is 0.1.  This seems about right, as I'm using a flat spiral primary on the same plane as the bottom turn of the secondary.

Regards,

Greg