Re: [TCML] Large Top Loads

James Zimmerschied wrote:
Hello,
I am in the process of getting a large coil set up. I need something like a 48" diameter top load. The usual practice is to build one of dryer ducting or foil coated hose. I have been envious of Greg Leyh's coils with there tubing top loads. Along this line, I was looking for a tube roller to see if aluminum rings could be fabricated at reasonable prices.

Harbor Freight has a  manually driven version for about $150. [Not sure if it could actually roll a 48" diameter x 1" aluminum tube.]  My question is: has anyone tried to fabricate a top load made of a cluster of aluminum tubing?

Certainly, it can roll 1" tube into a 48" diameter ring. IF you get the right kind of aluminum tubing.

My experience with rollers is that you're going to scrap a fair amount of tubing until you get the settings dialed in and are able to crank out consistent output. It's not like it has a calibrated dial that says "24 inch radius" on it. The other thing to think about is that aluminum tube comes in 12 foot sticks, as I recall, although 20 foot pieces should also be available. If you get the 6 or 12 foot sticks, you'll need multiple pieces to make your 48" ring. with the roller, you're going to wind up with some not so wonderful ends, so you don't get the full length.

Since soft tubing is available in 50-100 foot lengths, at least in smaller sizes (1/2", etc.), there must be some source for longer pieces than 20 feet. This might be too soft and dentable.

Depending on how many of these you're going to make, you might want to call around and see if you can find someone local (a metal fabrication shop) that can do the rolling for you. One thing we used to do is have the rolling shop roll big long "springs" for us (we were using circles about 12-18" diameter of 1/2" steel tubing), and then we would cut the spring up the side, and "flatten" the spring turns and weld them.

Are you going to TIG weld the tubes into rings?