Re: [TCML] DANGER Ground wire question (Need a straight answer)

Dex Dexter wrote:
It depends on power of the coil,frequency,and lenght of
the ground wire.Usually I connect ground wire of my small
coil to a cold water pipe.Frequency of coil is about 340 kHz
and ground wire lenght about 10 ft.
Nothing happens as I touch the pipe or the wire (as expected).
But I wouldn't take chance with 10 kw coils!

Dex

Guys (and gals).

Just because you don't feel anything doesn't mean you're not taking a shock. RF is different..

Also, the whole thing should be to establish habits. This is basic HV safety.

HV wire == don't touch it. Never trust that the wire is "safe". Otherwise, some day, some idiot will have turned the power back on when you didn't know it, or a ground connection came loose, etc. This is why linemen and HV workers use "grounding hooks"; they don't trust anything except a wire that THEY connected and which they leave connected the entire time they're working on the circuit. BTW as described elsewhere, are not all that useful for RF.

You want to establish the habits early, on low power, so that by the time you go higher power, you've already got the habit. Casual and HV are not a good combination.

By the time you get to where it's necessary to touch something, you will hopefully have enough knowledge and experience to not need to ask the question.

--- This is why ESD handling procedures are used even on non-esd sensitive parts (like bolts and nuts). It's better to handle everything the same way than it is to make situational decisions about what is safe and what's not.