From: tesla popp <teslas_lab@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm
Subject: RE: [TCML] Musical Tesla Coils (plasma speakers on steroids)

That kit is nice and cute, unfortunately, it's not capable of pumping the amount of power I'm looking for. I would like the experience of constructing my own coil. The biggest problem I have at the moment is "How do i take an already great SSTC design and make it sing?" There are so many refined SSTC schematics out there fully capable of 500 watt plus power levels. However, I am not sure how one would go about turning any of them into audio modulated systems.

This is my idea so far:
Design a 300V Hexfet class AB amplifier using 1000 watts of power mosfets. Take the signal from my mixer, send it through a 1:1 audio isolation transformer, and ground one leg of the transformer on the output side so I have only a positive biased waveform. I can use that waveform to feed a low distortion MOSFET drive
chip.

Lastly, I will take my now audio modulated 1000W 300V signal and power my SSTC directly with it. Resulting in a crisp AM discharge with a class AB quality.

Dose anyone see a problem with this design?