  From: Steve Ward<mailto:steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 10:14 AM
  Subject: Re: [TCML] Large Top Loads

  It was some work, but yes, it can be done:

  http://stevehv.4hv.org/ringtoroid/<http://stevehv.4hv.org/ringtoroid/>

  The harbor freight bender needed some mods right from the get go.  I added
  some 1/16" thick HDPE shims to keep the rollers from being able to move
  laterally.  Even with this, its best to have a second person guiding the
  tubing in real straight.  Its easy to get a slight cork-screw if your guider
  isnt really on the ball.  A real tube bender would have up-right rollers to
  keep the tube feeding in true.

  I used some short pieces of 3/4" PVC as it fit super snug into the 1" OD AL
  tube to join the ends.  The AL tube was .065" wall thickness.  Id suggest
  buying at least one more tube than you need so you have 1 piece to get the
  learning aspects out on.  The last picture shows the toroid how it really
  ended up, with 8 supports and huge zip-ties to snugly hold all the rings in
  shape.  Because my rings were slightly cork-screwed, they did not want to
  sit perfectly, hence the need for more supports and the ties to hold them in
  shape.  Certainly the next time through would give less problems.

  Also note that the bender produces scrap at each end of the ring, about 6"
  worth of material that cannot be bent.  So if you really want to get a 48"
  toroid, you will probably have to get a few 20' lengths of tube, and the
  rest could be 12' lengths.

  The only other tool i used in my friends machine shop was the bandsaw to cut
  the ends of the tube square.  This can be done with a hack-saw and some
  patience if you dont happen to have access to a giant metal cutting saw :-).

  http://www.teslauniverse.com/community/groups/ratcb#num=206&id=album-11<http://www.teslauniverse.com/community/groups/ratcb#num=206&id=album-11>

  That link should point to some photos from the 2009 teslathon with operating
  pictures of that toroid.  I'd say it works.

  Steve