From: Lau, Gary <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Feb 18, 2010 4:20 pm
Subject: RE: [TCML] interesting spark gap idea

That's an excellent point - using something to control the blower speed.  If
using a vacuum cleaner AC/DC "universal" motor, a triac-based lamp dimmer can be
used if you want that instead of a variac (smaller & cheaper).  But my
experience differs from Gary W's as far as the optimum speed setting.

I found that any speed beyond maybe 20% of full power offered no difference in
spark performance.  It just made the vacuum cleaner motor louder, which I really
didn't want.  And since a full-throttle vacuum cleaned motor can draw 10-12
Amps, I'd rather have as much of my 20 Amp breaker budget going to my NST and
not so much to the gap blower.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

It
> works best with a variac and a variable speed fan you can dial in the perfect
air
> speed.  Turn the dial you can see the output spark get longer and shorter it
only
> takes a few seconds to dial in maximun length sparks.  I use a vacuum cleaner
> motor on a RQ gap with 8 gaps of 3/4" x 2" copper pipe inside of a 4" PVC pipe
6"
> long.  I have posted pics in the past. For some reason Photobucket will not
allow
> me to access page 2, 3, 4 and 5 I will post a pic later. It is called a
Variable Speed