Re: Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Finn Hammer wrote:
Original coil:
389mH (measured Meterman 37XR)
Diameter: 200mm
Length:     860mm
Toroid 100mm above top turn.

Initial voltage C1=000V (1200V IGBT as gap)
Gap has been known to pass 4500Apeak  :-)
I tried some designs, listed here:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magdesign.pdf

Only three of the parameters can be fixed. I fixed L3, C3, and L1. I didn't modify the program Mrn6, and then had to vary manually C1 to have the right L1. This resulted in a series of designs with different C1, L2 and k12. The too low modes as 1:2:m and 2:3:m result in too bad values for C2 and k12. I started then from mode 3:4:5, and proceeded increasing the last factor. C2 decreases when this is done, and at about k:k+1:3k reaches a value similar to C3. The most interesting modes are just these limits, because then C2 is small enough to be distributed. Of the several listed designs, I think that modes 5:6:7 and 5:6:15 are the most interesting, and not too difficult to build. One requires a quite big C2 with not too high voltage, and the other can have a distributed C2 and k12 at the limit of the reasonable. A more difficult set would be 3:4:5 (with maybe too high input current) and 3:4:9, and the inverted 4:5:6 and 4:5:12 (possibly unrealizable due to too low C2). If the parameters for these designs result too difficult, the next pair is 6:7:8 and 6:7:18 (not in the file). These pairs of designs would one produce the peaky output of a magnifier and the other something more similar to a Tesla coil output, but with the same low number of cycles for energy transfer, and would be easily comparable to a Tesla coil made with the same L1, L3, and C3. Note that C1 will have to be changed, and so the input power may be different. The input voltage can be adjusted for the same input power.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz