Re: [TCML] Spark gap for first TC

Lau, Gary wrote:
Hi Jim,

I must admit that I'm also unclear about the finer points of constructing such a 3-log gap.

I understand the basic premise - that adjusting the top/middle pipe adjusts the two intervening gaps, but I can't imagine an easy way to build this - how to suspend the middle pipe such that the moving it stays parallel to the lower pipes in both vertical and horizontal axes.  For simple, low-powered gaps, I've always just had two parallel pipes side by side on a piece of G10, with screws/bolts and slotted holes in the G10 to the pipes.  At least the pipes remain parallel in the vertical plane as I slide one of the pipes.  Is there a photo you can cite?

I'll look for a photo (I thought I had posted one on my website, but I couldn't find it..)

What I did was have the lower two pipes on regular fixed standoffs. The upper pipe is suspended by one bolt in the middle. You can twist the pipe to make it parallel with the other two, and move the bolt up and down (two nuts on either side of the crossbar supporting it). In the lame ascii art below, I is an insulating support.

I        |        I
I        |        I
I        O        I
I       O O       I