Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Finn, all

I will add to my dropio location tonight an equivalent electrical diagram
for
the L1primary, IDR/ECFC, L2 secondary.  One could argue the IDR is
two current source sheets in phase and parallel to one another, or you
are inducing a 2X voltage in ring via both phased primaries which leads to
double current through the bulk resistivity of the same. Doesn't matter, net
results are the same.

To Finn's earlier point, if one assumes a coupling coefficient of 1
(impossible
but makes math a little easier), current in IDR is a function of Itank X
active
turns ratio.  So if we have 1kA assumed peak current times 16 active primary
turns would suggest a maximum current approaching 16kA in drive ring   ==8^O
So... Yea heat rise might be a big deal with the ring.  Another concern is
aluminum doesn't show heat "color" very well, everything is fine until
suddenly
you have molten aluminum going everywhere starting fires.   ==8^O
I have built several IH systems based on this geometry, and smaller lighter
targets will heat to 900C easily especially at the ECFC where it is coupling
to L2.
The good news is we are running a fairly small real duty cycle (<10%)
and the thermal mass of the ring will help limit heat rise (dT/dt).

Coupling will reduce IDR currents from above, however they will still be
easily
5-10X tank current.  Coupling coefficient to driver ring and L2 with a
geometry
like this is a three dimension relatively linear response with a function
very
similar to Capacitance equation (proximity effect) that has the general
form:

K ~ k1 (AL1) / k2 (d)

where K is system coupling coefficient
         AL1 is active area under active turns on primary
         k1   is proportionally constant for area
         d     is mean distance between primary and IDR
         k2   is proportionally constant for L1 / IDR separation distance

I will upload measurements on an earlier system built to these general
guide lines that had a 3D sheet coupling response.  That's why pancake coils
were used so frequently is early radio.

Acronym / Abbreviation definition time:
IDR - Current Drive Ring
IH   - Induction Heating