Re:[TCML] First Tesla Coil Problems and Questions

As far as your mmc, I had a problem similar to yours with the first one I built. I also had my series caps side by side to save space and they arced to one another burning a hole in two caps.I did fix this problem by putting plexi-glass in between the caps (also you could submerge the board in mineral oil) but it would have been a better choice to redo the board the right way. I know now its best to run your series caps in straight lines. There are no "sharp" points facing each other forming corona and arcing together this way which what looks like what happened in your case. I don't think it being close to the primary makes a difference. As far as your spark gap, a 2- electrode gap should work just fine, mine  performs awesome. But if you want to experiment build an R.Q. gap and see which you like best. As far as ground, I don't think anything beats a good old solid rf ground. Your coil looks good, most people go with more turns on the primary for more
 tuning flexibility. I noticed that you have your tap on turn 7 1/2, Does that seem to be the sweet spot or can you even tell a difference between where it's at or if you take it all the way to the end of tap 8?. Maybe if you had another turn or two to tap onto it would come alive. If you end up wanting more primary turns, search the list for past posts about splicing copper tubing.
hope this helps, congrats on a working coil,
Norm
Demotte, In