RE: [TCML] Advice on MMC-Choke

Thanks Deano

An interesting project.
I might give it a try.
Cheers

Andrew

> I don't have a variac but am keeping my eye out for one of suitable rating
> but there are not many for sale around here.
>
> I like the idea of building a variable reator with iron wire in a tube but
> not quite sure how to do that.
That is a great solution, I have not built one myself. If you have an extra
MOT,
I have built a rough and ready ballast, adjustable and reasonably linear.
Not
adjustable "on the fly", but easy to make. It would be easier for you as
your
MOTs are already 240V.

I cut the welds holding the I to the E and removed the secondary and shunts.

Added another primary from another MOT with same size core. Rigged clamp to
hold
I on E, put plastic shims between I and E and clamped tightly. Works like a
charm.

You only need one MOT and do not have to add a second primary.

I really wanted better linearity, so ended up splicing the two cores
together
side by side "double wide core" and winding my own coil to get a straight
line
from 0 to 240 V input. Saturation starts at 240 instead of 180 and is just a
bit
off the line at 260.

No pictures, no text, only graphs at:
http://deanostoybox.com/projects/ballast/