Re: [TCML] Pairing two seperate coils of different powers

Not sure if this is the phenomenon you speak of here but I once ran a plasma globe on two different drivers of completely different frequencies, one connection to the ball, one to a wire wrapped around the base. There was constant arcing from the ball to the wire, despite completely not aligned frequencies (40kHz and around 18kHz.) I attributed this to two things, periodic alignment of frequencies, and even when the voltages were off just a little (not 180 degrees) the opposite electrode still looked like a good ground through the flyback secondary most of the time (at least half.) The plasma bridge must have just maintained itself with internal energy the rest of the time as there was no noticeable flickering or decrease in brightness. Just my two cents.

Scott Bogard.

EVP wrote:
Interesting point, BUT! In one of Tesla's published comments he specifically mentions an interesting property of a bipolar coil setup. I can't remember if he shows a schematic indicating one gap and the two primaries in series but think he does. Unfortunately it's in my bookcase at work and can't look it up but have often cited the page to my radar colleagues who thing that 'pulse compression is a modern invention'. Anyhow, what he says is that by varying the tuning [relative frequency] of the two coils he can produce any spark sound he wants including the very sharp sound that one would expect of a Wimshurst machine spark. Whether he ever ran the experiment or "just knew it would work" [he had remarkable intuition] he's essentially correct. If there is any frequency difference between the voltage on the two secondaries there will be periodic times at which the voltages between them double. For example, if one coil is tuned to 100 kHz and the other to 101 kHz the two signals would add up to double 1000 times a second. One form of generating sharp pulses which is in use today involves adding a number of identically-spaced voltages. For example, with 10 voltages the peak voltage difference is ten times that of a single one. No average power gain of course.

Ed

Lau, Gary wrote:

There's a lot more to determining the relative phase of two Tesla coils than the direction of the windings. Even if the two gaps were completely synchronized (which will NEVER happen), consider that if the two secondary systems differ in frequency by any amount (which will ALWAYS be the case), the phase will be out of whack in just a couple of cycles.

But to your question, I don't think there's any hazard to allowing them to arc to one another, and that their NST's are different doesn't enter into it at all.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA