Re: [TCML] Odd side effect--from a coil? (fwd)

Forwarded ...
Chip

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:16:55 -0500
From: mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Odd side effect--from a coil?

Found on http://www.finishing.com/265/26.shtml :

(quote)
. . . there's a couple of ways to get magnetic stainless steel. First, if you are using a 300 series like 304, 316, etc (sometimes called an 18-8 grade) then work hardened material is magnetic. In other words, the mill that you buy it from has to have rolled it down some after they annealed it. The level of magnetism is related to the level of working, so heavily worked material is most magnetic. The downside of work hardened material is that it is harder to form and bend and cut.

Second, you can use a ferritic or martensitic grade, also called '400 series'. For example, 440C is a cutlery grade, and after heat treating holds an edge well enough to be used for fine knives. 430 is a softer grade, about as strong as your current non-magnetic stainless.

The Nickel Development Institute has a superb guide, called "Design Guidelines for the Selection and Use of Stainless Steel", their publication number 9014. If you look hard enough, you can find it and download it from their site at www.nidi.org. Otherwise, just call them and ask for one, and they'll send it. Free. They just enjoy telling the world about their favorite element.

    Lee Gearhart
     metallurgist
     East Aurora, NY

(unquote)

I don't know what grade my glasses are made of. I'll look into that. But my original question stands--can Tesla coils magnetize anything by proximity?

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Schmuke" <rdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:54 PM

Just a note about stainless steel, poor quality and rust.
The stainless used for antenna whips is normally 17-7. 17-7, 17-4, 15-5,
13-8 all are heat treatable, considered high grade SS, many used for
fasteners but they will rust and/or corrode more than the cheaper, softer
300 series. Also the ones I have listed have different responses to a
magnetic field. Most can be held by a magnetic chuck when grinding.
Rich , KdØzz
My wife complains I mess with stuff too much but I have a "tinkering virus"

Rich