Re: [TCML] Prepare a Hot Dog

Hi Jim, Adam,

Jim, I'm sure you are correct about the energy

vs. mass/specific heat  issue of completely

"vaporizing" an average sized tomato, as you

have already eloquently "ran the numbers" for

us. However, I would also propose that although

the inards of the tomato would not be totally vaporized,

I do believe that the sheer percussive kinetic force

of a 10 kJ discharge that was properly directed

into the central mass of the tomato would indeed

"blow it apart" even if the resultant temperature

of the remaining tomato pieces was not signifi-

cantly above ambient. Of course, this is also

assuming that the 10 kJ is discharged into or

inside the tomato through a low enough impedance

path to allow for a rapid enough discharge time. I think

Peter Terren has video of this being done on his

website tesladownunder.com. and I'm sure you

could also find some interesting vids of similar

experiments on Youtube.

David Rieben