Re: [TCML] Fan Shroud Toroid

Q. " what do you think about using metallic spray paint to achieve
conductivity in the form?"

A. Highly unlikely that would work with most rattle-can finishes. Spray
paints are mostly comprised of acrylics or laquers and regardless of their
aluminum flake content would not be very conductive at all.
As paints dry the flakes tend to settle below the surface and the polymers
or what have you come to the top, hence your protective coating.
I did once work with a silver aluminum spray paint that claimed to have the
the apperance of chrome when applied (of course it was BS, the only finish
that looks like chrome is chrome).
But it did have such a high content of ultrafine aluminim flake that it was
very cool to the touch and felt like metal after it cured.
You can try that but I am still sceptical. Look for it in the home
improvement stores, the cap is actually chrome plated.
You would need to use a compatible primer or clear sealer between the paper
mache and aluminum paint if you were to try it. It would also be extremely
important to give ample drying time between each step, i.e. allow all
moisture to evaporate from the mache, allow 48 hours for the sealer to cure
after applying then 24 hours for the chrome (aluminum) paint to dry before
handling.
If you cant get a conductive surface on your topload you wont have any
capacitance and your coil will be impossible to tune.
If after all that it doesnt work you can still just cover it with alu tape,
with the proper technique it can be fairly aesthetically pleasing.