Re: [TCML] max performance per secondary diameter/resonate inductor.

Scott,

I don't think there is any table that shows a maximum spark length vs
secondary diameter.  That's only one parameter in a long list of parameters
that determine the maximum spark you can get from a coil.  The limit to the
spark length you can achieve with a particular secondary will depend on the
voltage stress seen across the secondary, and on how you control this
stress.

For a while I have been working on a coil specifically designed to return a
large spark length to secondary length ratio.  So far I've reached 5.3333X
(54" vs 12" secondary).  The secondary diameter is 3.5".  I had to take many
steps to ensure that the coil form did not break down internally, or
externally.  In addition I had to make sure that the coil would not
continuously arc between primary and strike rail.

Much of what I saw in testing agrees with what John says below.  My coil can
not run at low break rates, it just flashes over.  Also the coil has to have
a pretty massive top load (18"x4.5") considering the size of the coil to
achieve 54".  Before I put the larger top load on the coil the sparks were
not able to reach as far.  In the case of my coil bang energy is independent
of break rate.  Running at a higher break rate allows me to run larger bang
energies due to the spark loading bringing down the top voltage of the coil.

-Phillip Slawinski