Re: [TCML] Pole pig ( does it never end? )

Joe Mastroianni wrote:
Guys ( and you are, mostly)
I've been searching the archives the past three days for clues of sources of pole pigs. Lots of data available but also dated - like 5 or more years. I wonder if there's any recent info. For instance has anyone recently acquired from Solomon or T&R? Temco is literally within an easy driving radius. Are they a source?

I could start cold calling these suppliers but like most technogeeks I find that form of human interaction to be abysmal and would much prefer to know apriori that I will reach a friendly ear ( or to just use email )

However, you are buying something surplus and not normally sold to individuals, so the "personal touch" is needed to give the seller confidence that you're not going to do something stupid with it and get them in trouble.

The easiest way is to post a message on *this list* saying, hey, I'm looking for a pole pig with 10kVA (or whatever), saying where you are geographically (e.g. someone in Georgia is not likely to want to ship to you in California).

Other useful stuff to know..

How are you going to ship it?
DO you have a forklift at your end to get it off the truck? or how are you going to do it? (YOU, by yourself, generally can't just manhandle one, especially off a 4 foot high truck bed to the ground).. If you have a tractor or something, that can be rigged to hoist. Or, if the truck has a lift gate, etc. (but that means arranging that the truck DOES have a lift gate).

Or, do you have a pickup, and can pick up the transformer, on a pallet, at the local freight depot (this is optimum).. they will have a forklift and can just set it in the bed of the truck.

Dr. Resonance often has transformers for sale at the September Tesla Fest in Wisconsin..