Re: [TCML] Begining Tesla Coil Project

There's no clear answer to whether any or every coil needs a Terry filter.
One thing the Terry filter does is sets hard voltage clamp limits via the
MOV's, provided it's built correctly (using the correct number of MOV's for
the given NST voltage).  This makes the coil somewhat idiot-proof, in that
it prevents novices from opening the gaps too wide and destroying their NST
(you'll toast the MOV's instead).  If one is diligent and knows how to
properly set the main and safety gaps, and possibly more-so with
lower-voltage NST's, a Terry filter may not be necessary.  I use one with my
15/60 NST coil, because 15/60's are less than common or cheap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA