Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Computer Interference (proper grounding)

Concerning the connection of mains and RF grounds -

If you have an NST connected to a Terry filter, the NST case is connected to
the RF ground if you've hooked it up properly.  If you also connect the NST
case to the green-wire ground, then you have connected your RF ground to
your green-wire ground.  This is wrong and defeats the purpose of having a
dedicated RF ground - to channel RF away from your mains wiring.  They must
remain separate.

What things connect to which ground is often misunderstood.  The ONLY thing
that connects to the green-wire ground should be the Variac case and control
panel chassis - things that an operator cannot avoid touching and must be
connected to the green-wire ground so that if a hot wire touched the Variac
or panel, a fault-current sufficient to trip the breaker would result.  We
don't need to protect the NST case like this because no one playing with a
full deck should ever touch the NST case of an operating Tesla coil.  An NST
powering a sign in a bar is different, as it's conceivable that some fool
might touch the NST, but we're supposed to know better.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA