Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Computer Interference

That's a great question.  Wonder if I could just slap a scope on it and get it to trigger/store on glitches...

I'm also wondering - after all these years of coil making that people have done on this list - what's the best way to measure output power?   I mean, we have subjective streamer length.  But I'm messing around between 240bps and 120bps and gap size and phase, etc.  I can hear differences and see differences, but frankly, it's hard to really get anything quantitative without an actual side by side comparison.  I run at 240 bps and then the exact same setup at 120 bps (by removing some electrodes) and I gotta say, at times they look the same - and maybe they are depending on how out of tune I am, etc.

It would be nice if I could just measure and tune output power.  I do the usual, wait for the safety gaps to fire and back off a little.  But there are times I can have the variac on full power w/o the safeties firing (because the timing and tune are perfect) and then try the same thing with a tiny difference, and pow.  Safeties firing at 3/4 voltage.

So, this qualitative measurement stuff drives you toward lots of error prone trial and error.  Maybe that's just "the way it's done", and frankly I'm ok with that if true (My wife says I must secretly wish my coil is NEVER working right, so that I can keep twiddling with it.)

But if there's a better way, I'd like to know.  Like, I have some field strength meters.  Perhaps I could set those up at some distance while running?

Cheers,
Joe