Re: [TCML] Primary Coil Simulator for Safe Primary Circuit Experimentation

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I think a thermocouple would be better suited than an optical sensor,
because when using a static gap, there are surprisingly low frequency
variations in power.  This is evident if you've ever viewed the mains
current on an analog meter movement.  I think thermal equilibrium would be
achieved in a few tens of seconds, and this would smooth out the variations
due to the static gap chaos.

I worry about the accuracy of monitoring the input power.  When pushing 140V
into the NST, I'd be concerned with core saturation giving misleading
results.  Does a Kill-a-watt meter not register saturation?  Doesn't matter
though - I have a thermocouple meter and I don't have a Kill-a-watt meter!
With the bulbs, all the power going to the bulb is real processed power.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA