Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:57 PM
Subject: [TCML] MOT mystery arcing

Hey Guys,
So here is a new one that has me stumped... My 4-inch coil burned a MOT (no uprise there) so I replaced it, to keep the coil from arcing to the primary and capacitor etc, I hung a grounded wire off the base so any downward reaching arcs hit it instead of the works (and it does the job quite well.) Here is the bizarre thing, sometimes (most of the time in fact) when it hits the wire, I see arcing in the MOT windings to core, it started as high voltage secondary coil type arcing racing all over, but over time the windings are actually catching fire inside on one of the MOTs. I cannot believe but it is still running. None of the wires were connected, I tried grounding the MOTS and nothing has changed, I'm using only two, what is going on here? My base is wood painted with black paint, and one MOT has shunts removed, the other doesn't. I don't know what else to say, it's never done this before...

Scott Bogard.