Re: [TCML] Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation

Hi Gary,

The thermocouple might work assuming it's a surface temp type. I would simply place a metal sheet over the lamp(s) and mount to that (it's all relative regardless). However, I've done the lamp method before and it wasn't that difficult and the readings were quite smooth and gentle.

I put two 500W halogen lamps inside an aluminum box totally enclosed. I then drilled a 3/8" hole in the side of the box where I mounted a light to voltage transducer. Prior to mounting the transducer, I used black electrical tape all over the transducer except for a small 1/4" area which was aligned over the hole. Ran small coil and measured the voltage across the transducer (grabbed a few samples and averaged). Later I used a variable DC supply measuring voltage and current to achieve the same light level needed for the transducer voltage average. Pretty simple method and worked quite well to gather a real power number.

Regards,
Bart B. Anderson

Gary Lau wrote:
I don't have an IR thermometer but I do have a digital thermocouple meter,
so...

Two possible problems with measuring the light.  I'd have to build a
ventilated, shielded enclosure to keep out ambient light, and that seems
like more effort than finding a way to couple the thermocouple to the lamp.

Additionally, I fear the thermal time constant of just the filament would be
faster than the long-term fluctuations in the chaotic gap firing rate, and
would show moment-to-moment variations in brightness.  I'm hoping that the
thermal time constant of the quartz tube and thermocouple will average out
such variations and yield a more consistent reading.

I'll try the kapton tape and see how that holds up.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA