Re: [TCML] solid state varaic

There is much information in the Internet on "AC Choppers".  Several Articles of
interest:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7031043/A-New-Configuration-of-Single-Phase-Symmetrical-PWM-AC-Chopper-Voltage-Controller

http://www.waset.ac.nz/journals/waset/v56/v56-20.pdf

http://elth.ucv.ro/fisiere/anale/2006/3_2.pdf

My favored design is use a totem pole phase rectifier (doubler)
feeding a totem pole
switching element (IGBT, FET)  with appropriate LC low pass filtering and a zero
cross detector.  Line impedance (inductance) makes circuit operate similarly to
a current source inverter, which is exactly what you want; adjustable constant
current control by cycle control, and Vo control by DC of PWM.  A 555 could
be used for PWM element and the reset pin controlled by a comparator circuit
with hystersis (identical to a DRSSTC OC control) would limit the output current
by dynamic cycle by cycle control of the 555.  Simple, robust, and proven.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA

--