[TCML] Coil Volume and Others

I'm using a cheepo sound pressure meter I got from Amazon for $35, brand named "Scosche"

It measures ambient in my garage between 57 and 60 db.
Max with the coil running at 240bps is 107db, with the average around 105db.

Since I have upped my output current to 90ma I have been unable to stop my primary from arcing, except by keeping the variac at 1/2 or below.  I've tried raising the secondary, to reduce coupling, just to see what would happen and  had minimal effect.  I'm wondering if 1/4" tubing spaced 1/4" in an archimedes spiral is just not enough width to stop the arcing at this current.

Also, I have been having difficulty adjusting the tuning, where I really never did before.

So, I'm guessing my coil is now out of spec.  I originally ran JavaTC & others with a 15/30, and I have hence tripled the current.  Also upped the MMC to 41nf, but not sure what the effect of that was.   I have procured some 8" PVC and will try winding some 26ga.   Also thinking to move to a helix as a primary, using 3/8" tubing spaced 3/8" or 1/2" apart.  Ran a bunch of JavaTC and TC plan spreadsheets while I was sitting in various airports and airplanes today.  But what those don't tell you is whether or not your primary is going to arc.  I can only use the max voltage and the breakdown of air in the primary, and pretend it's a spark gap to see what happens?

Also thinking to change the spark gap distance on the SRSG.

Clearly, lots of tweakage is necessary.  It's kind of a bizarre solitary pursuit, running the coil, making tweaks,  running again...guess we all do it...

This weekend I will try to gen up a Lau halogen dummy load to see if I can get this thing into spec without all this senseless arcing.

Cheers,
Joe