Re: [TCML] Coil Volume and Others

Ok, so I got caught in a confluence of many parameters -
twice I had the coil working well.  Not flawlessly, but well.   Still some primary arcing at nearly 100% power.   Turns out the arcing is less of a problem when everything is timed and tuned well.

Ah...but then, one can't leave well enough alone.

Tweaking the timing knocks the primary tuning off, which you find out by suddenly seeing racing arcs on the secondary where before there were none.  Tuning is also very touchy.  Usually I can be off by more than two full turns before I see racing arcs.  This was more difficult.

Of course, live with racing arcs more than you should, you get burn marks, and then eventually your secondary burns through...

I want to say that the idea of stacking toroids to increase the topload did seem to work.  But honestly, I can't tell if it was that or adjusting the gaps on the SRSG - which had more of a positive effect in terms of reduction in racing arcs on the secondary and the primary-between-turns-arcs.

Oddly, I checked and rechecked my JavaTC numbers, and it kept giving me answers that did not correlate to what I was seeing.  So clearly, my setup is in some state of error, because JavaTC works, as I have previously proven.  I think it's time to jettison this SRSG, as much as I enjoyed building it.  AT the  minimum, the propeller was much easier to tweak - though also needed all sorts of twiddling to get it dialed in.

As I have burned up one secondary, I do have one left though it was designed for lower power, where it worked swimmingly.  I will commence winding a new secondary, and at the same time try an ARSG with a lower power setup just to see what will happen.  From Amazon I've secured & mounted one of those blower motors that Terry Blake suggests on his website.  It's mounted into the same frame as the propeller gap, which I had previously set to 240bps.   So there are 4 presentations per revolution, identically to what Terry has on his website.  And this motor will run at 19,500 RPM with 120V, so the BPS should be adjustable to a pretty high, and hopefully safe range.  But I do have to configure some means to protect the world at large from the thing.  The idea of that tungsten rod flying out of there at some bullet-like speed does really bother me, which is one reason I liked the G10 disk better.  But it's easy enough to configure a polycarbonate shield.

So I will experiment with that tomorrow with my lower power secondary in parallel with genning up some sort of winding jig.

If I burn that up I will go to the new secondary and the propeller gap in SRSG mode.

There are many times in the past week or two I wish I had taken up something easier and less painful,  bungee jumping or building rocket engines.

Joe