Re: [TCML] Thumper, the worlds most advanced tesla coil.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 06:03:24 +0200, Michael Twieg <mdt24@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Looks excellent! For the predikter driver, did you just put a phase lead on the current waveform prior to zero-crossing detection? Or did you do a more
sophisticated method, maybe with PLLs?

And how do you vary the tapping on the primary?  Brush contacts?

-Mike

Mike,

Sometimes keeping it simple is the key to success, so an inductor in series with the burden resistor did the trick. With regard to the tapping, you really should go to 4HV for full details of a custom 5kA spring loaded Brush trolley riding the primary.

The Predikter driver and the rest of the coil build is generously text and photo documented on 4HV.org.

With 142 posts as of now, and with constructive input from Coiling Experts like Steve Conner, Richie Burnett, Steve Ward, Aron Koscho, Chris Hooper and many others, It is a very good read.

Go spend some time here:
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?68820
The whole story is there, It is like a manual, you could build your own from it! And I invite you all to plagiarize from it, I would feel honoured if you went and did.

Cheers, Finn Hammer