Re: [TCML] Thumpers Toroid

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:29, Phil Tuck <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am considering a tubular example like Finn's recent "Thumper has
> utilized.
> How does the ROC of these toroids relate to the level of charge they can
> retain? A conventional 8 inch ROC will support "X" amount of charge before
> breakout, but the tube that is used with these tubular designs has a much,
> much smaller ROC, 0.5 inch for example.
> So does the overall profile curve of a tubular type of toroid act somehow
> as though it is just a single surface?

In other words would the level of charge that a tubular toroid supports be
> the same as a conventional toroid (overall size for overall size, roughly)
> Also is the resulting pF capacitance value comparable between both types?

Yes, the toroid will perform much the same as a conventional toroid in terms
of capacitance.  A toroid made from rings will have a slightly lower
standoff voltage; however, the more rings you use the less this is an
issue.

> Just a last thought but all of these I have seen are on DRSSTC or other SS
> stuff, are they just as usable on old style RSG 80 Khz technology or do they
> prefer a high frequency coil?

I believe Greg Leyh used this construction method long before solid state
coilers started using it.  e.g.  Electrum, 40kW Experimental coil.