RE: [TCML] Cutting Garolite disk

I used a table saw. I drilled a 3/16" hole at a location perpendicular to the face of the blade at a distance from the blade equal to the radius of the RSG wheel. Then I tapped the hole for a 1/4" bolt, drilled a 1/4 hole in the Garolite square, and then bolted the square onto the surface of the table saw (with a 1/4" bolt) loosely to allow me to rotate the square with my hands, but tight enough to prevent any play or vibration. Then I raised the blade incrementally as I cut about 1/16-1/8" grooves (rotating the square slowly) until all the way through. Makes a lot of dust, but makes a really nice round wheel.

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Mastroianni
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 1:06 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Cutting Garolite disk

Ok,
So I'm making a srsg and I am convinced of the primacy of garolite as
the material to use for the disk holding the spinning electrodes. But
as far as I can tell my sources of garolite will all provide square or
rectangular chunks (eg - mcmaster-carr)

What's the best technique to cut a precise circle out of these square
pieces?

I don't have a band saw...

Thanks in advance
Joe