Re: Re: [TCML] SPARK COLOR?

EVP wrote:
Thanks - I suspected you'd have the answer. The middle picture shows the effect I'm talking about. I assume the positive terminal is to the left in the photo? The bright line is also familiar.
When I added that picture to the post I was thinking that the brighter side was the positive. But now I see that the dimmer side (right) is, due to the straight segments. That region of a different color at the left side (negative) also appears in other pictures. There is a short bright area just when the positive end touches the terminal.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/trmspk.jpg

Sparks from my Van de Graaf generator frequently are bright bluish at the top terminal [positive or at least I think so] and sometimes they terminate in quite a bundle of purplish lines, presumably what you are talking about. Quite a striking scene in a really dark room.
Yes. These positive plumes are beautiful, but difficult to photograph.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz