Re: [TCML] Pole Pig Question

Hi Miles,

As with any hobby or pursuit, let your goals be your guide when selecting equipment.  Do you want 10-foot sparks?  Do you hope to experiment with a big magnifier someday?  Will all your coiling be done at home, or would you like to go mobile?

For my part, if I could wave a wand and make a new pole pig appear in my barn, I'd conjure up a 5KVA single phase distribution transformer, oil filled, twin HV bushings, 14.4KV primary, 240V secondary.  Such a unit can handle 5KVA continuously, or up to 15KVA intermittently.  It is small & light enough to be moved around with a light-duty hand truck, and two healthy men can safely lift it.  It is also a good fit for the 240V/50A welder outlet in my barn.  But that's just me...

Greg