Re: [TCML] Transductors for current limiting

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM, DC Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yes, we do this very procedure using an old 10 kVA core that we strip all
> the windings off of.  We then rewind the two outer legs with 90 turns
> (total
> split between the two legs), and use a 32 VDC 10 Amp power supply which
> energizes a winding on the central core leg.  This gives us total and
> smooth
> electronic control from 0-70 amps at 220 VAC.
>
> It works excellent and eliminates our older method of using a gear motor to
> move the core in and out of the coil.

It seems a shame to kill a piggy to control one, even though I have 2 of
them. Is there another suitable source of core material to build such a
beast? I have a saturable reactor, at least I think I do, but its core is
significantly smaller than a 10kVA core. If capacity scales linearly, I
expect it's only good to about 1kVA.