[TCML] Thumping Water Pipes

I recently implemented software in my drsstc controller which permits the coil to be fired in a single burst varying from 100 to 1000 milliseconds in duration. In operation I noticed an thud following each burst occurring somewhere in the garage. When I placed my hand on the copper water pipe feeding the water heater, the thump could be clearly felt every time the coil fired. The discharge from the coil was striking a ground pole which was connected to a ground rod driven through the cement floor about one foot from where the water supply exits the ground and enters the garage. When I grounded the strike pole to a different ground rod on the opposite side of the garage, the effect was greatly diminished, so I'm guessing that current passing through the pipe creates a magnetic pulse which reacts to the earths magnetic field but I thought that I would ask the experts for a more definitive answer.

Dave
Pleasanton, ca