[TCML] What source of DC for Magnetic Amplifier?

Hi!
I did some experiments about mag amps for use as current limiting in my big coil and I'm very impressed how good it works. Now a question came up to me, what type / source of DC should I use for the control-winding?

I used a 24V DC Power supply with just a transformer connected to a bridge rectifier. But of course, this simple device gives some ripple in the output.

Should I connect a big capacitor in the range 0,5-1 Farad parallel to the DC for getting a smoother DC? Or isn't it necessary?

@ Doc Resonance, what kind of DC supply are you using for your Mag Amp?

Thanks a lot,
Stefan