Re: [TCML] sucker gap material

Stainless steel conducts heat very poorly, which will probably cause the
gap to overheat.

Tony Greer
___________

In a message dated 3/16/2010 8:35:28 P.M. Central  Daylight Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:
I would choose brass fittings over SS  for a variety of reasons.

The cost of two brass fittings can't be that  great compared the rest of
your coil, even if SS is free.  Machining SS is  a lot tougher than brass.  I
think I recall hearing that if SS is heated,  it may emit toxic fumes, but
can't confirm this.

As to the opening, I  think you're referring to the axial hole in the
fittings.  The thing that  matters is the air velocity through the arc channel.
I don't think the  axial hole diameter will affect this too much, as long as
it's not too  small.  Mine was roughly 3/8" diameter; I wouldn't go
smaller.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA