RE: [TCML] Reactance vs. matching frequencies

 Hi Brian.
It is actually surprisingly simple to get sparks out of a tesla coil,
even a fairly mistuned unit. (assuming, possibly wrongly, that you are
building a spark gap coil)
I have never bothered with such calculations and have never had any
issues getting good streamers as long as my coil was tuned within about
1 spiral from optimum.
I've seen people build these with cardboard tubes, recycled magnet wire
from transformers, pop can toroids, ect, and still get satisfactory
results. Despite all of the complicated physics behind it, they are a
very simple device to build and get operational. If you get too wrapped
around calculations and optimizing it on paper you just tend to impede
your actual progress in bringing it into existence.
My advice would be to invest the time that you're currently using to
second guess things instead be utilized for engineering your coil on
paper until things like wire routing, spark gap placement, finding a
suitable way to attach the secondary to your enclosure, and a way top
attach your toroid to your secondary, and those sorts of obstacles are
all hammered out mentally. Redraw it until you know it inside and out
and it looks perfect. Once you have a solid plan on paper you can really
start making progress in a hurry without slapping things together
half-as*ed. You know what you'll need for the assembly (for the most
part) and you can make 1 run to the hardware store and get most
everything you need. Oh you'll be back for something that you've
overlooked or have improved on...but maybe just once or twice rather
than ten times.
Once you get a good, basic feel for coil building/tuning/safety and the
like then you'll be in a much better position to optimize performance by
digging into the physics and calculations.
Just my two cents.
Good luck with your coil Brian!
Oh...and you might enjoy this...my first real coil in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVFELxEsVU

Shannon Weinhold
KI Innovations

"Failures are divided into two classes