Re: [TCML] Why 1000 Turns?

Hi Tom,

Great question by the way.  Anyhow, I think the 1k turn thing is entirely empirical.  It's not set in stone.  I've made little tabletop coils with as few as 300 turns--worked fine.  One coiler on this list reported a 3000 turn secondary--said it worked fine too.  However, if you use any of the Tesla coil designer programs like JavaTC or WinTesla, one always seems to end up in the neighborhood of 500 to 1500 turns on optimal secondary designs.  No secret Masonic stuff going on here.  Just the collective experience of many coilers over many years.

Greg