Re: [TCML] Need Help Troubleshooting My First TC

Prime suspect is the NST itself.  Is it a true core & coil transformer, or a solid state neon power supply?  A solid state supply won't drive a tesla coil.

Second suspect is your capacitor.  If it is shorted, it will prevent the spark gap from firing.  Assuming your NST is the "real deal", try a 6 pack of beer bottle capacitors.  Six, 12oz bottles in parallel will get you about 5nF.  If the coil starts working, you can always replace the beer bottles with a better cap later.

Third suspect is the spark gap.  How did you gap it?  The gap setting may need to be a bit less when you add the cap to the circuit due to loading.  Try closing the gap a little.

Good luck,

Greg
http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter