RE: [TCML] RE: Splicing wires - Secondary Coil

Hi Steve,

I suspect, as others have pointed, that it probably was an electrical break-down first at the splice point.  And since the winding broke apart (open circuit), the system just self-tuned to the "remaining" portion of secondary - of course, making the broken splice point a spectacular failure as now the max. voltage was occuring at this point.

I think what i wanted to say was that if you had a bad splice point in a manually tuned system, and that splice broke open, that resulting collateral damage to the secondary coil would be minimal since the coil would now be detuned, and not producing as much output voltage.

As opposed to a self-tuning system in which if the splice point broke apart (open circuit), that the coil would now retune to that splice point most likely damaging the secondary coil/coilform beyond repair making any salvaging of the secondary impossible as you would now have your max. voltage somewhere midway up the secondary or wherever the splice point occurred.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks
Dan

Hey Dan,

Can you please elaborate on how they "failed"?  Do you mean the oscillating frequency was wrong? or you had electrical breakdown?  If it were *only* breakdown of the winding, then it sounds like the simple answer was that the insulation was compromised, or the e-field stress was higher due to the discontinuity in *geometry*.  Seems perfectly plausible.  But if the oscillating frequency of the self-resonant system changed due to this splicing, and yet the coil still measures the same L as a non-screwed-up coil, then im still confused by this.

I guess its possible the point fails right away with a short, which would certainly change the Fres.

Steve