Re: [TCML] Grounding a Tesla Coil (Yes, Again)

Brandon Hendershot wrote:
This is the link to that webpage I was telling you about: http://www.textfiles.com/science/rqexps_t

It's unclear in Richard Quick's description whether his counterpoise was below the coil, or at some distance. If it's at some distance, then, as he noted, you will charge the counterpoise. His counterpoise is also quite small: 2.5-4 square feet, vs a typical recommendation of a minimum of a circle with radius = topload height. I'll bet his counterpoise is comparable in size to his topload.

Richard only gives the diameter of his secondary (4-6"), and while he was a fan of short fat coils in general, that still makes his coil at least 2 feet tall (not counting the height above the ground, on his rolling cart, which is another couple of feet probably)...

Based on that, I'd say a reasonable counterpoise would be a 4 foot radius, or about 50 square feet, some 20 times the size of the one he experimented with.