[TCML] OT dc power supply, thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some good ideas out there. Van de graff might be fun. I should have initially stressed that the power supply will be operated in a controlled environment by one of the electrical engineering professors. The kids will only be building their models to be tested by and demonstrated by the professor at the end. Since I work at the school in the IT dept, i'll see if I can get my hands on some of our old reclimated monitors. I know i have a closet full of them just waiting to go to surplus. Someone mentioned using a 555 timer to drive a transistor. I might have to get together with the EE prof to make this happen. Last time I tried working with 555 timers, the end results were rather disappointing. Can someone recommend a circuit diagram and the required output voltage for the lifter? Sounds more complex than I initially anticipated. Thanks again for the quick off topic help.

Regards,
Andrew Robinson
www.teslamad.com