[TCML] Nearly ready to go..

Hi

Sorry about the first link. I think it may have been a bit long and got
wrapped. I am nearly at the point where I can fire it up but trying to make
a few decisions.

1. I have a 4 MOT stack transformer and an inverse pyramid type primary. How
high above the outside winding should I make the strike rail? Couldn't find
a simple answer in the archives.

2. I started to build a Terry filter but have read that they are
specifically for protecting NST's because of the fragile nature so I have
stopped making it to save costs etc. I have got the 2x 1000 ohm resistors
and wondered if there was any merit in placing them in the circuit between
the safety gap and the main gap (a sucker one) and if they would offer any
protection?

3. Safety Spark gap. Do I need a safety gap with MOTs? People say they are
quite robust..

4. With a 4 Mot Stack do I need a center tap. If so should it be tied to the
RF ground? I understand that nst's have one and therefoe it makes sense to
use it..but a MOT..any thoughts?

Here are the bits I've made so far...

Secondary

 <http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1570412/1/Secondary?h=d3813a>
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1570412/1/Secondary?h=d3813a

Primary

 <http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1570412/1/Primary%20Coil?h=7ccec9>
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1570412/1/Primary%20Coil?h=7ccec9

MMC

 <http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1570412/1/MMC%20capacitor%20bank?h=ef3383>
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1570412/1/MMC%20capacitor%20bank?h=ef3383

Your answers and feedback most appreciated.

Andrew

Kiwi Newbie

Andrew Buxton
MCSE, MCP+I