Re: [TCML] First run

If the Terry filter MOV's were clipping, they would be very hot, if not
smoking.  The MOV's shouldn't be clipping anything unless the gap is opened
too far.  Since your safety gap isn't firing and assuming the MOV's aren't
hot, I'd say it's good.  YOu shouldn't add any more MOV's unless you know
for sure that they're clipping at too low a voltage.

The MOV's that Terry originally specified were Panasonic ERZ-V10D182,
Digikey P7215-ND.  For a 15kV NST, a total of 16 of these are needed.  Any
more and the protection would be compromised, and any less, and the MOV's
will conduct and smoke all the time.  You're using a different part, so
it'll be up to you to ensure that you're using the right MOV part and the
correct number for your NST voltage.

By saying that the output of the filter seems weak, do you know that the
coil would perform differently without it?  I'd say give that a try if you
really suspect the filter, but I doubt the filter is the problem.  More
likely the Quick gap is not properly set.  That's one reason I prefer the
sucker gap - it's a lot easier to set.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA