Re: [TCML] SRSG question

Steve,

I don't use the fluorescent to get the phase  in the ball park.  I use
the fluorescent to verify that the circuit is working properly and that
you can see the phase shifting on the rotor.  The phase position is
best found by trial and error.  If you get best sparks near the end
of the phase variac's knob range, then you'll need to shift the
rotor on the motor shaft to "center" it in the phase shifter range
(or rotate the motor in it's cradle which accomplishes the same
thing).   The reason trial and error is needed to find the best
phase position is because there's delay in the timing of the
firing, and the amount of delay depends on many factors.
Only the old fluorescent bulbs work (ballast type), and some
folks have great trouble seeing the shifting pattern as they
turn the variac knob.  Some folks use a neon bulb system
instead of the fluorescent since it's easier to see the phase
shift effect.

Cheers,
John