Re: [TCML] hybrid coil

 Carlos,

As Steve mentioned, the main ways that staccato operation produces longer sparks
for a given input power are:

  1)  The intermittent sparks grow longer in air due to the nature of spark growth dynamics.
       (The use of raw 50Hz or 60Hz AC to the plate will also give longer sparks than the use
        of filtered DC.  Staccato gives full control over the pulse rate for even better spark
        growth "efficiency".

  2)  A lower tank impedance can be used to put more energy into each pulse resulting in
       longer sparks for a given average input power.

There's no need to raise the plate voltage.  In tubes that run with red hot plates, it's true
that staccato operation lets the tube run cooler, so higher voltages can be tolerated than
otherwise.

Cheers,
John

Many people have said that stacatto only helps get bigger arcs by allowing

you to run higher voltages on the valve.

I am already running 10kv (which is the valves maximum rating), and I don't

want to push its rating because I want to be confident of its reliability

for my client... and also because a new valve costs around US$1500!!!